The First 2 Months – A Survival Guide
The First 2 Months - A Survival Guide
Twins: 7 Weeks Old
Paisley: 2 & 4 months
The first 2 months (nearly) have gone by so quickly I can barely believe it. But whilst the months are short the days can often be very, very long.
If you’ve come to this blog to read about how having 3 under 3 is easy and everyone can do it you have come to the wrong place. I’m going to be real... sometimes it is BRUTAL. But amongst the sleepless nights, cluster feeding, toddler tantrums and endless washing we are slowly but surely getting the hang of this!
I have put together a list of survival items below that you will need to get you through the newborn twins phase, especially if you have a toddler too. These are all things I have NEEDED and used time and time again, you can thank me later.
- Big knickers. As big as possible. I cannot reiterate this point enough. I had a natural birth and a c section, enough said.
- Vest tops and leggings. This will be your uniform! I like wearing vest tops under other tops whilst breastfeeding as you can pull one layer up and one down to be a bit more covered.
- Quick and easy meals. Either batch cook prior to having the babies and freeze or buy some in. Always have a couple of “easy meals” waiting just in case your day goes out of the window and you have no time or energy to cook.
- A large water bottle. If you’re recovering from birth / you’re breastfeeding you NEED to keep hydrated. Have a big bottle to save yourself too many trips to the kitchen.
- A twin cushion that you can have downstairs on the sofa. Whether it’s putting them down quickly to answer the door or to put them in to chill, you need something that’s quick and easy to access. It’s the only thing I can easily pick both babies up out of one handed. Added bonus you can also use for bottle feeding!
- A soft feeding cushion - I have a doomoo cushion, I have actually mastered tandem breastfeeding because of this cushion. I use it at every single feed it has honestly been a god send. Can also use it when they’re older for sitting in, truly a fab purchase.
- Next2Me (other brands are available) I have both babies in the one crib. I don’t have to leave my bed in the night (see below point for changing) true had made night feeds so much easier!
- Changing caddy x2. One in living area, one by the babies bed. Taking the babies to bed means 3 trips up and down the stairs for me with all the stuff I have to take, let alone if I had to take nappies etc too. Keep both caddies stocked at all times and include a change of clothes for both babies.
- Sticker / Colouring books / other quiet activities for your older child(ren). I was mainly housebound for a couple of weeks after delivering the twins and was so thankful for quiet activities to keep her entertained as a bored toddler is no ones friend!!
- Reigns. If your older child doesn’t walk nicely you will need these whilst carrying two car seats you do not have a third hand!!! Luckily P holds on to the car seat but I can only imagine the stress if I had a runner. (link is to the best rated ones at the moment)
- White Noise on your Spotify playlist. This will save you at some point. Have it ready. The twins particularly like rain sounds.
- Somewhere to vent. Be it your partner, your Instagram (remember to follow me @soph.atoddlerandtwins) or just writing it down - have somewhere to vent. It can be HARD being a new Mum and talking honestly helps so much!
As much as there have been some hard times already there have also been wonderful times. It is so lovely seeing the twins develop and start to get their own personalities and it’s amazing seeing Paisley being the most natural, caring, loving sister ever. In the hard times I have to remind myself this stage is over in the blink of an eye and I need to cherish it before It’s over forever.
Until next time
If you're new and just finding me now, hi! My first post was my birth story which you can read here.
The Santa Experience Christmas 2020...??!!! The Santa Experience?! I know, I know it's only August, but as always, my Christmas planning hat is on and my oh my this year is going to be epic! The big guy himself will be visiting the studio this October, I mean if...
Miss F's Beautiful Newborn Session This little beauties mummy booked her newborn session whilst she was pregnant. She already knew she wanted a floral, girlie session. Her wish was my command! I adore using flowers in my shoots, even more so when I can use fresh ones....
Miss R-B Cake Smash and Splash! This little beauty came along with her mum and dad for her cake smash after lockdown as well ya know, we missed her birthday! However it was absolutely fabulous! She was a delight from beginning to end. Let me rewind quickly before I...
Welcome lovelies😊 I'm a tea drinking mummy of two who absolutely loves what I do! Here you will find new babies, bigger babies, kiddies & loved up'ie